Wednesday 2 August 2017

The Holiday

So, on my fifth day of being alcohol free, the hubby and I went on holiday for two weeks.  It was bliss and - most importantly alcohol free!

Whilst it hasn't been easy peasy I can't say that it has been really hard either.  I had worried a great deal that I was so dependant on alcohol that I might suffer some awful withdrawal symptoms... the thumping headache, the shakes and the inability to function properly.  In fact, being honest, I used it as an excuse not to quit.  The only 'symptom' that I've suffered from is that I haven't been sleeping particularly well, but I'm hoping that I will sleep like a log soon.  The lack of sleep isn't bothering me too much because I'm not hung over, so it isn't taking me too long to fully wake up and function.

I think the holiday was a kind of rehab for me and it was helped greatly that the husband did not drink alcohol either.  Not that I stopped him, but I think he thought it would be more beneficial to me if he didn't.  I love him all the more for that thoughtfulness.

I did find that I studied other people's drinking habits.  This may have been to prove that I'm not the only one with a problem.  I was shocked actually... By the fact that most people did not drink alcohol like it was going out of fashion.  Sure, there were some that had a pint of lager sat in front of them by 11am, but for the most part I saw people drinking  ONE glass of wine... Shockingly some even left some of that one glass of wine!  That would have been completely alien to me.  I would never ever in a million years leave a sip of wine in my glass.  I did observe that lots and lots of people just drank water or soft drinks.... Just like me.

I've been back from holiday for a week now and I'm on day 25.  Tonight is my first night completely alone at home.  Hubby is back to work doing a late shift and the girls are out for the night.  Ordinarily  this would mean that I could get shitfaced even before my tea was ready.  I'd then stumble to bed by 8.30pm at the latest.  Tonight will be different.  I need to be on my own to prove that I won't listen to the wine witch.  I haven't made plans to see family or even go for a walk.  I have made plans to cook myself a lovely tea and then after I'm going to do some baking.  Once tidied up, I'm going to watch a film.... All the way through, without falling asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment