Thursday 3 August 2017

There you are wine witch!

After 25 days of being sober, last night was the first night when I would truly be alone.  The first few days, Hubby was off work so I had his company to distract me as he did during our holidays.  The first few days after our holiday, I knew the girls would be back home at some point and I had also arranged to pick hubby up from work when he finished just after 8pm - I could because I was SOBER!

Last night was different.  Hubby was doing a late shift, the older daughter was out all night and the younger one wouldn't be back until after 9pm.  Easy, I thought.  I made my plans to keep me occupied.  I wasn't too worried.  Yes, the wine witch has been sitting on my shoulder whispering her sweet nothings to me (see, you've gone this long without a drink... You can moderate... Give it a go!  You probably won't even like the taste anymore, but give it a go!). Usually, I've been able to kick her are into touch fairly easily.

Well, after work I went to the supermarket headed towards the home baking section when I walked past an end aisle filled with cans of cider and different ales I think.  BAM!! The wine witch practically screamed at me "go on.  Just one, that's all you need.  No-one will know.  You can drink it and get rid of the can, you won't even get tipsy!!!!"  I could picture my hand reaching for one.  I was so shocked with how strong this 'craving' was, I felt physically sick.  I'm sure all colour drained from my face.

Then, I pictured what I imagined I had done during my most recent blackout (pissed myself), then I pictured another time when I fell over in the back garden and could barely get back up.  That did the trick.  I knew / know I won't stop at one drink.

Back home I was fine, but that episode has got me thinking hard.  This is going to be my life for the foreseeable future.  I can never ever drink alcohol again.... But surely I shouldn't be thinking 'I can't'.  I should be thinking 'I don't want to'.

No comments:

Post a Comment