Saturday 26 August 2017

Day 49

Day 49!  Seven whole weeks AF!

Last week I even managed another 'first' in my sobriety.  I had arranged for a friend to come over for a meal and for a catch up whilst Mr W was doing a late shift.  Wine has always been involved... Lots of it too.  As per my previous post, I had mentioned that I wouldn't be drinking alcohol.  On the morning of the night she was coming over I got a text asking if I minded if she brought herself a bottle.  "No, I don't mind" I said, while thinking fuck, this is going to be a real test.

I passed that test with flying colours.   The fact that she was drinking wine and I had my sparkling elderflower did not bother me at all.  She did ask if my not drinking was a fad/health kick or if it was a forever thing.  I explained that I was intending it to be a forever thing because I'd come to the conclusion that I was drinking way to much, I can't moderate and I was sick of looking and feeling like crap every day.  She didn't drink all of it and left a quarter of a bottle in my fridge when she went home.

That quarter bottle was still in the fridge the next morning and I realised that it had never even entered my head that I could have drunk it and no-one would have known it was me... Except me of course.  

When my hubby got up, he asked if I'd had a good night (reading between the lines .... Did you drink wine?).  I told him yes, I'd had a great night and it was completely AF.  With a great flourish (now it seems like It was with too much flourish), I got that bottle of out the fridge and tipped the remaining wine down the sink.  It smelled awful!

This last week, I have started to feel a little complacent about being sober.  I really don't think that I should be feeling that I'm fine, I'm over that little problem with alcohol that 'I had'.  I am never going to be over that 'little' problem.  It wasn't (isn't?) little it was BIG.

Whilst I feel and look much much healthier - those suitcases I was carrying under my eyes have gone and my face has a bit of radiance to it - I realise that I have mentally come to a point where I need to take stock and list those pro's and con's .. If only to help me realise why I shouldn't become too complacent.  I think to become so, may be a slippery slope to alcohol oblivion and I don't want that.

3 comments:

  1. Just saw your post at SM's and wanted to say - Congratulations!! It,s a big, big achievement! Plus, the stance of openness you've adopted in several situations should be a good way to 'nip in tte bud' comments and social difficulties. It IS your life, your decision, your well -being.....so do it your way!

    Continued success to you. It's not easy but the rewards (goodbye eye bags!!) are soooo worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on stacking up the days, keep at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I just discovered your blog and am starting at the beginning. I love how raw and honest you are ! I can sooo relate to all of this beginning stuff with the wary husband. I haven’t gotten past 2017 August yet but I gotta day your hubby is bugging me! I know I’d be prob doing the same in his position but he’s so suspicious and doubting I want to smack him! :). Excited to keep reading your journey.

    ReplyDelete