Tuesday 17 October 2017

So, what's so special about reaching 100 days sober?



Yesterday, I had been sober for 100 days.  I wish I could say that that fact filled me with awe about how well I've done.  It didn't.

Sunday night, whilst tossing and turning in bed, I spent a lot of time thinking "tomorrow will be 100 days ..... yes?  and?  what about it?"

What is so special about this milestone?  Does it mean I'm cured?  Does it mean I can be a 'normal' drinker?  No, it absolutely does not.

Will my sobriety get any easier from now on?  Oh, I hope so.

I though I might feel a little different on Monday.  I didn't.  To be honest, I felt very 'flat' throughout the whole day.  I did try to think about how well I have done, but just couldn't.  All I can think about is what I was before and I remember the shame and the guilt.  How truly, truly horrible it must have been to live with me.

Surprisingly, when I first stopped drinking alcohol, I found it relatively easy.  I really expected the worst withdrawal symptoms... that I would experience horrendous headaches, I would feel like I had flu and that I may have the shakes a bit (I used to find that I was a bit shaky the in the morning after a drinking session).    I didn't have any of those.  What I did have was the longing and craving for alcohol - but, again, not too bad.  What I did in these circumstances was to think about my past behaviour.... what I had been like.... all the times I made an arse of myself, the blackouts, how awful I must have been.  I realise now that I've been concentrating on the bad things for too long and it's become a way of life to beat myself up every single day.

Quite rightly, I should be deeply ashamed and horrified, but I think that I should also should have made myself think more of the good things:  How much better I look and feel, how my husband and children have a wife and mother who is just 'there'.

I feel like I'm stuck in a bit of a rut and I need to take steps to train myself to think of the positive things of not drinking alcohol.  I need to pull the shutter down on those thoughts, but I don't think I deserve that just yet.

After reading various blogs and articles, I'm also wondering if I'm suffering from a bit of PAWS and a little bit of depression (caused by my negative thoughts).

Part of my problem is that I haven't shared my feelings with anyone.  I've caused my husband and children so much emotional pain in the past, I don't feel that I put this on their shoulders too.  I don't have many friends, but the one that I have 'confided' in doesn't know the half of how bad I really was.

I'm flagging and I know it.  But one thing is for sure - I do not want to drink alcohol.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on reaching 100 days! I think sometimes we need to grieve all the things we have done whilst drinking. I can sometime make myself feel very sad about how I have treated my family or shameful things I have done whilst drinking. However you have nailed 100 days free of the booze and you never have to drink again! So onward, keep going and look after yourself. However we feel, however low through PAWS or shame or regret we feel, know one thing: drinking is never the solution, it will only make things worse. Life is one big up and down, no reason why quitting the booze is going to be any different. Embrace the change in you, well done again, SP xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much for your comment SP. It means a lot to know that I'm not alone with my feelings. The good news is that I never ever want to drink alcohol again.

      Delete