Tuesday 9 January 2018

Six months sober!

On Saturday past, I have been sober for six months.  So, how do I feel?

Truthfully, it feels like I've been sober for an eternity, but I also feel very fortunate that being sober hasn't been as difficult as I anticipated it would, although it has not been easy.  I am also very very aware that it is still only early days and I still have a long way to go.  It's getting easier and easier.

There will be no moderation for me.  I will never ever be a 'normal drinker'.  I can never drink alcohol again.  More importantly I have to never WANT to drink again.  Sometimes I think it is this concept that I struggle with more.  This is the wine witch tapping on my shoulder.  I imagine using my fingers to flick her off.

The benefits of not drinking booze have been amazing so far.  My skin and hair are better, my eyes are brighter.  My finances are better.  Those niggly pains have gone.  My anxiety has all but disappeared.  Best of all, I am happier.  Even better than that - my husband and children are even happier.  No longer do they have a sozzled mother/wife who cared about nothing else but booze.  Now they have someone who is fully there.  Someone who can remember conversations and arrangements from the night before.

The only 'bad' thing is that I have put on tons of weight... But that's a battle for another day.

Quitting booze for good has got to be one of the best decisions I have ever made.  It took me a while... I read blogs galore, I read books, I watched documentaries... One called 'There's something wrong with Aunt Diane' which was pretty awful.   I finally had to get to my rock bottom for me to finally quit.

I am a completely different person to what I was six months ago.  I am me again! I am getting my life back.


3 comments:

  1. I am truly so happy for you. Keep up the great work! This is just wonderful! Again, I have had a similar experience (but drank heavily for 30 years). I am a wife + mom too. I love your blog. Drinking was always the one thing I thought I could NEVER give up. I am immeasurably happier now, everything is better, (not always a cakewalk of course). Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your lovely comment! Isn't it amazing how happier you are without the dreaded booze?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to be where you are now, I am on day 15! Thanks for stopping by my blog, it helps so much!! And fantastic for you!!

    ReplyDelete