Wednesday 1 November 2017

My dirty little secret

I've always felt slightly relieved to know that my 'dirty little secret' was just that:  mine.  The fact that I've had a drinking problem and my reasons for becoming sober are only known to my nearest and dearest and I have never really broadcasted that I am now AF to other family members, friends and acquaintances.  I've told my best friend that I've stopped drinking but I haven't been completely open and honest.  She doesn't know the depths that I sank to.

Last night, after work, I bumped into an old friend that I haven't seen for months.  I'll call her B.  We had the usual chat .... Kids are ok, life is fine, etc.  B suggested that we get together for a good catch up and a bottle or two of wine.  Great, I said.  A catch up would be good ... We could go to xxxx for something to eat and they do a great range of mocktails.  Mocktails?  She said.  So, I explained that I'd given up the wine.... Better for my health, better sleep, etc, etc.  I thought you'd piled on the weight, she said.... You did like a good drink didn't you?  Thank god I'm not like that!

EXCUSE ME?  I was speechless, humiliated, horrified and upset.  All in one.  I said well, I feel much better now for not drinking, but didn't tell her to eff-off.  How could I?  She was speaking the truth, no matter how harsh.  I made my excuses, told her I'd give her a call and said cheerio.

I got home and cried.  Luckily, no-one was home.  I felt so sorry for myself.  I felt almost like I'd been caught out - in the middle of swigging from a stashed bottle of booze. 

At about 9pm last night, B rang me.  Drunk (It is so strange to listen to someone who is drunk when you are sober - was I like that?).  She accused me of being 'holier than thou' about not drinking and who was I to suggest that she drank too much?  I was the alkie, not her.  She knew when to stop.  She remembers the time when I was at her house for a catch up and tea and drank a bottle and a half of wine (so did she and she had a couple of whiskeys).  Blah, blah, blah.  I apologised for upsetting her and said I'd speak to her today.

This morning I am mad with myself.  Why did I apologise to her?  I realise that she was drunk and had more than likely twisted everything out of proportion.  But still, I didn't say anything out of turn.  I suspect it was her own booze demon at play.  I do know that B likes her whiskey and likes her pills.  But I have always thought who am I to judge?  I get that, just like I think she may have a problem with the booze, she thinks exactly the same about me.  Although, I would never ever intentionally force my new found views onto anyone.

I had thought all along that my dirty little secret was just that.  I had thought that I had hidden my problem well.  Perhaps I didn't.  Perhaps it wasn't a secret after all.  It is humiliating to know that other people may have recognised my drink problem too.

Having had time to reflect this morning, I don't think I need people like that in my life at the minute.  That seems harsh, I know.  Perhaps B does need a bit of encouragement to cut down or stop drinking.  But, that's not my responsibility.  I'm so early on in my sobriety that I'm not strong enough for that.

I had an absolutely crap nights sleep mulling over all of this.  Re-running my conversations with B, I should have said this, I should have said that. 

What worried me more is after all of these days sober, the wine witch was tapping on my shoulder suggesting that I should try moderation.  No, no, no.  I can't.

I feel like I have taken a step back.  I had begun to think less and less about the booze.

I have to get around this, because I cannot go through life avoiding people who may be a 'trigger'.

5 comments:

  1. Oh no!! Let's see....I'm trying to piece this together:
    "I don't drink anymore..."
    "You BITCH!! How DARE you??"
    Something like that. So yes, you'll get this. Be ready with a response. And if it's too triggery to hang out with drinkers then make an excuse and don't. Your only responsibility is your own sobriety, which does not include making other people comfortable with it. Keep at it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no. That‘s terrible. When I gave up the first time friends used to call me boring , my other „so-called“ friends called me holier than thou. It really upset me. I decided I could drink in moderation. In the end it took me years to get out of that dark hole. I now don‘t care what anyone says. I‘m doing it for me. You’re doing great and are an inspiration. Keep hold of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your comments. They really mean a lot to me xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. We each have to follow our own path and there is nothing like someone joining a gym to remind us how snug our own pants are fitting. This is your journey. Do what works for you and give yourself some grace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such common experience in early sobriety and can keep people drinking for a long time after they want to give up. I'm sorry you have experienced this. Have a read about codependency, it might help understand these behaviours of people who are really trying to keep you drinking so you can facilitate their own issues. Kudos to you and good luck on your journey xx

    ReplyDelete