Tuesday 6 February 2018

Mrs W: Meet Gym

A little while ago I posted about having quit smoking and drinking, but not filling my time with anything else. 

For years I have sat at home drinking alone.  I've turned down all sorts of invitations, because the ability to being able to have a drink was always at the forefront of my mind.  Any activities that involved me having to drive were completely out.  All of this has made me completely unsociable.

And, as much as I love my family and being around them - particularly now that I'm sober and am 'present', you can be around them a little too much.  I think I've reached that point.

I've been feeling bored and frustrated and I need interaction with others.  I also need to drop some weight.

There's only one person that can change that, and that is me!  I've taken the plunge and I have met Gym!

So far, I've done a couple of sessions in the gym, I've done some classes and I've gone swimming.  I haven't lost any weight yet (I might if I cut out the sweet stuff) and I have discovered muscles I never knew existed.  I have also found, particularly for the classes, that there are some really friendly people.  At one of my first classes last week, I had a chat with a couple of women - this week, they both approached me for a chat, pleased that I had come back, etc.

Now, I know that I'm not going to have throngs of new besties anytime soon, but I'm working on it.

If only I had known it would be this easy, I might have done it sooner.

8 comments:

  1. Mr Gym is a great place to meet all kinds of people. I find in the Sauna/Steam room area, you really can get to know people well, with time of course. I don't work out as much as I should, but I do use the sauna A LOT. So many times, sitting on my hands not wanting to drink, I've packed my things and gone just to sit in the sauna. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it works wonders for me. And I've met all kinds of people. Good luck with your exercising!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to follow your blog - but I can't see how! Any tips?

    IJCD
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi IJDC - You may have a 'reading' list on your blog - so you should just be able to copy a link to my blog site address to it. Good luck ;-)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great! I get to yoga several times a week, but find it's too easy for me to talk myself out of it!
    xo
    Wendy
    tipsynomore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Wendy. I think I am still slightly in the honeymoon stage. I'm trying to find out what works best for me. I much prefer the classes rather than having to self discipline and use the Gym.

      Delete
  5. Hi there, I've just been going through my old comments and wanted to check in on your blog. I hope you are doing ok and look forward to a new post shortly.

    ReplyDelete